Security risks have moved beyond the network and operating systems.
Application problems are more significant in the application and access to data through applications.
Finding and fixing security problems early in the development cycle is more efficient and cost effective than testing after the application goes into production.
Many companies only test for functional requirements in application testing.
Security vulnerabilities should be identified early in the development phase through a structured approach.
Our Application Security Assessment is designed to meet best practices for application security. An application can be a Web application/site or an off the shelf application or custom built application. Off-the-shelf applications such as Oracle,
SharePoint and SAP are among the types of application we assess.
All industry regulations such as PCI, HIPAA and Red Flag require application security. An assessment looks at the source code, the infrastructure, the operating systems and the application functionality. There are many areas of weaknesses that have to be addressed both from a technical and nontechnical approach.
We review your current application usage, goals for developing new applications, whether in-house or off the shelf and develop a security strategy. An analysis of what information you plan to store on systems is conducted, review requirements to access information and what controls should be in place over application and data provisioning.
Key aspects of application security reviews include:
- Analysis of data access requirements
- Source code analysis
- Understand the business requirements of the applications and how to meet organizational goals
- Conduct a threat analysis of points of weakness in the current SDLC
- Conduct risk analysis and business impact analysis of application weaknesses
- Implementing security into the current SDLC
- Analysis of tools needed to ensure secure code development
- Analyze training regime for secure application development
- Develop a threat analysis and monitoring solution for application security
- Develop policies to address future risk to applications
We interview your IT staff, application development staff and security staff about what security measures are taken during the Security Development Lifecycle. We make recommendations on how the development process can be enhanced based on industry best practices for secure software development and provide a new framework that can be followed for future development.
Our approach is to provide a standard methodology for you to assess your applications in the future and provide your developers and implementation specialists a guideline for secure application deployment. We provide technical recommendations with mitigating controls and policies and procedures to keep your applications secure over time.